George Orwell Research

Eric Arthur Blair was born in 1903 at Motihari in British-occupied India.

While growin up, he attended private schools in Sussex, Wellington and

Eton. He worked at the Imperial Indian Police untill 1927 when he went to

London to study the poverty stricken. He then moved to Paris where he
wrote two lost novels. After he moved back to England he wrote Down and

Out in Paris and London, Burmese Days, A Clergyman’s Daughter and Keep the

Apidistra Flying. He published all four under the psuedonym George

Orwell. He then married Eileen O’Shaughnessy and wrote The Road to Wigan

Pier. Orwell then joined the Army and fought in the Spanish civil war.

He became a socialist revolutionary and wrote Homage to Catalonia, Coming

Up for Air, and in 1943, he wrote Animal Farm. It’s success ended

Orwell’s financial troubles forever. In 1947 and 48 despite Tuberculosis,
he wrote Nineteen Eighty-Four. He died in 1950 (Williams 7-15). This
essay will show and prove to you that George Orwell’s life has influenced
modern society a great deal.


In 1903, Eric Arthur Blair was born. Living in India until he was four,

Blair and his family then moved to England and settled at Henley. At the
age of eight, Blair was sent to a private school in Sussex, and he lived
there, except on holidays, until he was thirteen. He went to two private
secondary schools: Wellington(for one term) and Eton (for four and a half

After Eton, Blair joined the Imperial Indian Police and was trained in

Burma. He served there for nearly five years and then in 1927, while hom
on leave, decided not to return. He later wrote that he had come to
understand and reject the imperialism he was serving. He was
struck...between hatred of the empire and rage against the native people
who opposed it, and made his immediate job more difficult. Blair, on his
first six months of release, traveled to the East End to research the

English poor.

In Spring of 1928, he took a room in a working-class district of Paris.

He wrote two novels, which have been lost, as well as publishing a number
of articles in French and English. He became ill with pneumonia, worked
ten weeks as a dishwasher and kitchen porter, and returned to England at
the end of 1929.

He used his parents’ home in Suffolk for writing and earned money from
occasional articles and teaching. Blair then completed several versions
of what was to become his first book, called, not by his choice, Down and

Out in Paris and London. The book was a record of his experiences, but
“If it’s all the same to everybody, I would prefer [it] to be published

Discussing the publication of his first book with his agent, he decided
on three possible pseudonyms: Keneth Miles, George Orwell and H. Lewis

Allways. He favored George Orwell. The Orwell is a river in Suffolk,
south of his parents’ home. “George Orwell” published his first book in

1933. Down and Out... was followed by the novel Burmese Days, published
first in the United States rather than in England because of his English
publishers fear of it’s giving offence in Burma. After Burmese Days came
two more novels: A Clergyman’s Daughter, published in 1935; and Keep the

Apidistra Flying, published in 1936.

In the Spring of 1936 he moved to Hertfordshire and married Eileen

O’Shaughnessy, an Oxford graduate in English, a teacher, a journalist, and
later a London graduate in psychology. Orwell’s reputation at this time
was based mainly on his accounts of poverty and depression. His next
book, The Road to Wigan Pier was written for the Left Book Club and
started his career as a political writer. Much of this book was composed
of an essay on class and socialism, which was Orwell’s first statement of
his political possition.

In July, he left for Spain to fight (and write) in the Spanish civil war.

For the next two or three years, Orwell became a revolutionary socialist.

When he returned from war , he wrote Homage to Catalonia and in the winter
of 1938, wrote Coming Up for Air. In 1941 he wrote London Letter’s and in

August joined the BBC as a talks producer in the Indian Section of the

Eastern Service. Later in the year, he began writing Animal Farm. It did
not appear until August 1945, at the end of the war.

He and his wife adopted a son in 1944, but in 1945 his wife died during
an opperation. Animal Farm’s success ended Orwell’s financial worries
that he had suffered from for twenty years. In 1946, he